In 1896, at the same time Joseph Sibbel labored on the marble statuary for the altars of St. Augustine Church in Brooklyn, he carved the figures for the new altars of St. Cecilia Church in Brooklyn from a substance called Caen Stone. Two carved panels appear on either side of the main tower of the reredos. Atop the extreme ends of the reredos stand two archangels, St. Gabriel and St. Michael.
One of the most outstanding features of the high altar, but somewhat hidden by the free-standing altar of sacrifice, is the front panel of the high altar table. Here, Sibbel carved six adoring angels, each in its own posture, kneeling towards the holy chalice lifted by the central figure.
In 1897, St. Cecilia Church unveiled two statues ordered by Archbishop Michael Corrigan for their parish. Joseph Sibbel created these representations of Saint Joseph and the Blessed Virgin from Caen stone, the same material used for the high altar. The Brooklyn Eagle called the statues, "admirable creations in ecclesiastical art." **
Sibbel's artwork still adorns St. Cecilia Church today.
**Brooklyn Eagle, "Statues For St. Cecilia's," March 10, 1897.